Mathematics at Pensans
Our Vision, Aims and Objectives in Maths at Pensans
Mathematics teaches us how to make sense of the world around us through developing a child’s ability to calculate, to reason and to solve problems. Through our work at school in Mastery of Mathematics, we hope the children will gain the knowledge and understanding to confidently use these skills in their everyday lives.
The aims and objectives of Mathematics are:
- To promote enjoyment and enthusiasm for learning through immersive practical activity, exploration and discussion.
- To promote confidence and competence with numbers and the number system through fluency.
- To develop the ability to solve problems through decision-making and reasoning in a range of contexts and use problem solving skills in different contexts across the curriculum.
- To develop a practical understanding of the ways in which information is gathered and presented.
- To explore features of shape and space and develop measuring skills in a range of contexts.
-To understand the importance of Mathematics in everyday life through real challenge based activities.
Mastery of Maths
We have adopted the Mastery approach at Pensans School and work alongside Cornwall and West Devon Hub, Strength in Numbers and our West Penwith Hub.We also have links with Sefton Park in Bristol. This enables us to keep up to date with the latest professional development, moderation, inter school competitions and sharing good practise.